Monday, September 14, 2009

Rachel - Memories of Music

It held an important part of life for my sisters and me when we were growing up. Sundays always found us gathered around the piano. I can remember our dad complaining about playing too loud. But as I consider my growing up on a farm in Nebraska, timed were difficult in the thirties... Not much joy but lots of hard work raising chickens and a garden in Nebraska. Come to think of it, we raised most of our food: Mama baked bread. Boughten bread was a treat! In fact, my children and grand children would be amazed at how primitive living on a farm in the twenties and thirties was! We were very busy. Life was a chore. I envied the town kids. They had it made in their workless days. There was no electricity - until the early thirties -which made a Big difference.

Although times were hard during the depression, we didn't know any better and accepted life as we had it. We were a lot different than kids today, 75 years later.

There was quite a while when singing around the piano was common at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment