Monday, September 14, 2009

Phyllis and Books

Phyllis:

As a child, I read voraciously. I read books by different authors I liked and books about Indians. I didn't like books about "love" stuff - romances which were very popular with some. I was poor in geography and history - couldn't remember dates and associate time with periods in history. I didn't know who was contemporary and who was ancient history. I would also get confused about places. When I heard about Medford, Oregon, I was surprised that it was the place I had been reading about in history - or so I mistakenly thought it was.

I remember the first book I ever bought - Rebecca, I think it was. It was a major purchase and I started buying a lot of books. But oddly, I don't remember ever having favorite books.

I had a very favorite librarian- Miss Santee. A quote someone made about her: "And still they mazed and still the wonder grew - that one small head could carry all she knew."

No comments:

Post a Comment